Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I came across this page looking at pictures, so im not sure

Customer Question

I came across this page looking at pictures, so im not sure how to describe the swelling. My dogs eye is swollen. We were at the vet this morning and given a steroid shot. He was given cefpadoxime 200mg, prednisone 10mg and tobramycin an eye drop solution. I was told the cartlidge around his eyeball was swollen due to trauma to his head. my dog is 11 years old he's an old man. he does little running and jumping and is barely out of my sight enough to have gotten injured. I'm just trying to find out if anything else could have caused this. or if maybe he was misdiagnosed. He's my best friend and if this is the only cause. I need to find out how he got hurt.. Please any information you may have would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm puzzled. There is no cartilage around the globe of the eye. The orbit of the eye is bony. Can you upload a photo of Bubba's eye to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. A macro lens is best for a close-up pic. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Is the globe of the eye enlarged (glaucoma) or is it dislocated forward (exophthalmus) in Bubba's head?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/5oddr-dog-s-eye-swollen-red-last-several.htmlthat is the link to the picture I found on Google to compare. I can't figure out how to upload mine. Thats the picture that brought me to this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The attachment did load

Thank you! The swelling in that eye represents chemosis - an edema of the conjunctiva usually resulting from an irritant or allergen. It should respond to a steroid-containing ophthalmic drop or ointment. There would be no indication for a systemic steroid, systemic antibiotic (cefpodoxime), or antibiotic eye drop (tobramycin) unless there was damage to Bubba's cornea and risk of secondary bacterial infection. Was Bubba's cornea stained with fluoroscein to see it were intact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they just gave him the shot today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I not give him this medication

His cornea needs to be checked for damage. If it's OK I would see how a steroid-containing drop or ointment affects the eye. I wouldn't give any drugs systemically. My thinking is predicated upon your finding a photo that accurately mimics what's going on in Bubba's eye. I'm not happy with the standard of care this morning and so having an opinion from another vet near you is my preference for Bubba.

Hi Lauren,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?