jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My chihuahua has had about 6 of these same episodes. He is 9

Customer Question

My chihuahua has had about 6 of these same episodes. He is 9 months. The first time I rushed him in we thought he ate something. The 2nd time I thought hypoglycemia so I did the raw honey. It took about @ hour but seemed to work. Last week he had another episode. Late morning he was lying in bed but eyes were open. When I went to grab him he kept flinching like I was gonna hit him. Then he sat there and acted like room was spinning. After rubbing caro syrup several times in his gums there was no improvement. I took him in they did glucose test and it was 70. Vet gave him some dextrose and watched him. He seemed to be getting better. Her diagnosis was he's not getting proper nutrients and has low blood sugar because . I have always fed him the 4 health grain free dry food mixes with moist nutro. Seems to be growing just fine. Anyway she gave me new food. Well a week to the day he had another spell. This one lasted 5 hours. Couldn't even stand alone. So how can this still be a nutrient issue as he's been on this high calorie food and vitamins for a week? I called vet and asked if I could just get a dose of dextrose and she said no he's not getting the nutrients he needs. Give him syrup and the a/d food you have on hand. I'm not convinced this is hypoglycemia.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 years ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How often are you feeding him?

Does he have the dome shaped head?

Has he had blood work done to check his liver?

Any imaging?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has never had a blood panel which I thought was odd as he was neautured there. I think last week she was just going with the low glucose level because it was low. It was 70. And that was after about 5x of rubbing syrup on his gums. At that point he was almost lethargic so he wouldn't eat. He is a very very finicky eater. Never goes to the bowl I have to bring it to him. I try to get him to eat every few hours sometimes without success. Now human food on the other hand he would alwa always eat if allowed. He is a picker too. Always always eating something outside. Grass. Leaves anything. His head is round.also when I first got him he had a couple ear infections

I am working on you answer now.

Not all vets do blood work before neutering. I always suggest it as it can indicate if there is any organ issues such as a liver shunt. A liver shunt will lead to seizure activity which it seems you are seeing with him. When a dog has a liver shunt instead of the liver cleaning the blood, some is diverted around the liver and thus toxins build up in the blood. Normally you see episodes after meals and not after long periods of not eating. So while it should be ruled out, it isn't as likely as other causes.

Hypoglycemia is a possibility. Instead of the syrup get some nutrical. It is a nutritional paste that we use when dogs are not eating for various reasons. Give this at least 4 times a day at regular intervals. Try to feed the food that the vet wants him to have. The nutrical will supply him with necessary nutrients and keep his blood sugar levels up as well. Ask your vet about a homemade diet if it is balanced. Since it is made up of human food, your dog might be more inclined to eat regularly. Here is a homemade diet.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/homemade-diet-recipe-for-healthy-adult-dogs/page1.aspx?utm_source=dogcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter

The thing that worries me is that chihuahuas are prone to hydrocephalus which can cause seizures. Read more on this here:

http://www.chihuahuainfoonline.com/2009/01/hydrocephalus-in-chihuahuas.html

If he continues to have seizure like behavior, insist on additional testing such as imaging and bloodwork at a minimum.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.