Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My pet has some episodes when he growls and bites as s rear

Customer Question

My pet has some episodes when he growls and bites as his rear end and sometimes it goes on and on. No one in the house can sleep or do anything else when he starts. Last night it started around midnight and I had to get out of bed and bathe him to settle him down. He takes allergy shots every 6-8 weeks and also takes cortisone tablets in between shots. He has been tested for everything and we don't know what is causing this. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian for 14 years.

Have you or your regular veterinarian considered partial seizures? These can show up as any uncontrolled/obsessive behavior that is difficult to distract the dog from, but the dog remains conscious while they are happening. I had a similar patient who would "attack" one rear leg repeatedly after being hit by a car. He responded nicely to anti-seizure medications. You may consider taking a video of the episode and showing it to your vet. You may also consider taking your dog to see a neurologist, as they may have more information on the condition.

Good luck to you and Scooter!

I hope this answer helps you. If it does, please consider rating it.

Amanda Mouradian, DVM

Kansas State University, College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001