Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is trying to pee but can't. She had one accident

Customer Question
today peeing ok but a...
My dog is trying to pee but can't. She had one accident today peeing ok but a tiny drop of blood, constantly trying to pee. Still eating and drinking
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the all signs you are reporting for Tsyah, we would be concerned that she has a urinary tract infection (UTI). Further to this, we can also see these signs with urinary crystal troubles, bladder stones, kidney infections, and bladder tumors. As well, if she has not been spayed, we do have the lesser concern of a uterine infection (less likely though as it doesn't tend to cause urinary straining).

Now if we focus on the most common cause, then we do need to consider infection within the urinary tract. This can be quite common in female dogs and often arises from E.coli (a normal GI bacteria) gaining access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia. If you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We often see affected animals straining to urinate frequently while only producing small amounts of urine. The urine is often blood stained, can be cloudy, or have increased mucus/discharge. The reason we see these changes is due to the infection causing irritation and inflammation of the bladder. And this irritation, of course, also makes the bladder feel tense and sore.

To give Tsyah some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.

Now while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, in your wee ones’s case, I would advise that is prudent for her to see her vet (urgently, though not an emergency situation). If possible, especially since crystals in the urine can cause underlying cystitis infections and a problem itself, you should try and collect a urine sample (that can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to makeher comfortable and clear the infection.

Overall, when we see a dog straining in this manner, we do have a range of issues to consider but a bladder infection would top our list of suspicion in this case. Therefore, do consider increasing her fluid intake and monitoring her, but also collecting a urine sample and getting her checked by her vet. The vet can perform a full examination to rule out those other concerns for her. And if a bladder infection is confirmed they can get her onto treatment and get her back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions orconcerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you aresatisfied so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )

thank you I have booked her in to see the vet tomorrow morning.
Olga

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a perfect plan of action. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian