Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm sorry it took me so to pay the last time. id like to

Customer Question
I'm sorry it took me...
I'm sorry it took me so long to pay the last time. id like to know if spikes weight is ok. I changed his diet to science diet senior formula canned chicken. He gets two cans a day. Sometimes he is extra hungry and gets three. He weighs 10 pounds. He is also between 14 and 15 years old.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

No worries. Spike weighed 10 lbs the last time we spoke so all must be well whether he eats 2 or 3 cans daily. There should be guidelines on the can for a 10 lb dog. A senior dog, however, should receive 240 kcal daily - about 70% of the kcal a younger but adult dog weighing 10 lbs should receive - 350 kcal daily. You should be able to find the caloric density of that food on the can or on the Hill's website. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Nick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian