Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I've been recently told that my boxer of 10 and 1/2 years

Customer Question
"might" have masses or tumors...
I've been recently told that my boxer of 10 and 1/2 years "might" have masses or tumors in her liver or kidneys and that her pancreas blood check showed a possibility of pancreatitis.
This was all discovered when the vet did blood work for surgery on the dogs hematoma on her ear.
They brought in someone to do an ultrasound on her liver, kidneys and pancreas, they were concerned about the possibility of masses, or tumors and want to draw cells to find out for sure.
They don't want to do this immediately as she was just under anesthetic for the ear surgery.
So I'm not really sure how to respond or understand what is really going on, and to be honest, I sometimes feel like they come up with stuff that really can't be proved that cost a tone of money.
I would appreciate your professional opinion and thoughts.
Thank you,
Candy***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Boxer. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There is a good blood test, called a cPL test that will tell if there is pancreatitis or not.

It would help if I could see the blood tests, so I can understand what your veterinarian saw that concerned him.

An ultrasound is good way to look at the spleen, liver and pancreas to see if there are abnormal growths or masses or tumors. The only way to tell if these are tumors, or cancer, or are benign, is to get cells to look at under a microscope. If this were my own dog, and there are abnormalities on one of the internal organs, I would be getting a biopsy as quick as I could, so I would know what these are, and what my options for treatment are. Getting a biopsy means either doing surgery, using the ultrasound to guide a needle to get a small needle biopsy.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

How is your Boxer doing? Can I help with anything else?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian