Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug Lola recently had ves and I still can't tell what she…

Customer Question
Hi, my pug Lola recently...
Hi, my pug Lola recently had hives and I still can't tell what she was getting them from. I just checked her earlier today and it seems like her hives are gone but I found 2 scabs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she had the hives?

Where were you seeing them?

Did they respond to the Benadryl?

Where are the scabs? How large?

Can you post a photo (either using the paperclip icon above the text box or posting elsewhere and pasting the link here)?

Any change to her food or any new cleaners/chemicals/plants in contact with her?

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she responded to the Benadryl and hopefully we have no relapse with the hives (as that would suggest that the allergen trigger was still in contact with her). If she does seem irritated or itchy at all, you can keep giving it every 8-12 hours for the next few days. Otherwise, the scabs only look to be a secondary dermatitis. We can see due to them scratching/rubbing the skin in response to the hives (since they are very irritating) but also can see this related to the general allergic reaction's inflammatory effects on the skin. In regards ***** ***** this, as long as we have no hive relapse, we'd just want to clean these 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie chlorohexidine, salt water, etc), pat them dry, and you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream to any lesions that are raw, open, or weepy. Otherwise, we just want to monitor, but these don't look infected and therefore should just heal with a bit of supportive care.

All the best for Lola,

Dr. B.

Perfect, thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.