Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a dog that has been constipated days. It is dry and

Customer Question

I have a dog that has been constipated for 4 days. It is dry and hard. I called a Vets office and they told me to give her pumpkin, but she only goes a little bit. She still has her normal appetite which is good. She eats what we eat and she loves veggies. Is there anything I can do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long has you are sure Missy has no belly pain, hasn't eaten anything that could cause a blockage, and is otherwise well in herself; there are some extra steps you can take to encourage her to pass feces. To start, if her stool has been dry and hard, do make sure that Missy is taking in enough fluids. You will want to encourage her to drink (you can even flavor her water with milk or low salt chicken broth) and can even offer wet food (since it is 35% water).

Otherwise, further to the pumpkin, I would suggest adding a dose of cat hair ball treatment or a few milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, Lactulose, food grade mineral oil, etc) to her food. These will lubricate the gut to aid the hard feces slipping through.

Overall, we do have to tread with care if it has been 4 days since she has passed proper stool. Since she is otherwise well, you can use the above at this point. But if we aren't seeing stool in the next 12-24 hours or she develops any of the signs I noted or is straining, then she may need to visit her vet for an enema to clear this all out for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )