Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has itp and was given a shot of convenia yesterday to

Customer Question

My dog has itp and was given a shot of convenia yesterday to avoid taking a long course of antibiotics. Is it contraindicated in dogs with itp?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Convenia (Cefovecin) is a member of the cephalsporin family. This antibiotic class is reported to on rare occasion and at high dose to cause drug induced thrombocytopenia. Therefore, it does need to be used with care in dogs like Kahlua. So, as long as your vet didn't give a very high dose, we'd want to monitor her closely while this was in her system, as recurrence of her ITP would be a possibility here. So, we'd not be panicked since this is rare, but need to be aware of that risk.

hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her itp is under control with pred and atopica. Could it still be harmful?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

If she is on treatment for the ITP still, then that would lower our slight risk here even further (since the immune system wouldn't be likely to mount that inappropriate response due to her other medications). So, I'd be less concerned about a reaction in that case for Kahlua.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that makes me feel a little better. She has always remained on treatment for itp. If not her platelets will go down.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is the case for some dogs, but in this situation it is ideal to just prevent any risk (even low) of this causing any complications with her platelets.

Take care,

Dr. B.