Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My schnoodle threw up bright yellow bile earlier today and

Customer Question

My schnoodle threw up bright yellow bile earlier today and now will not eat her dinner. She acts lethargic inside but was excited to go outside (like normal). She just had a poop and pee. Should I worry? She is on a pretty strict diet, no table food or anything and I feel reasonably confident she didn't eat/ingest anything weird.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

3- How old is she?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- What do you feed her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weighs 15 pounds and it's been several hours (7-8) since she vomited. She's almost 7 and very healthy. She gets Natural Planet Duck and Whitefish for her main dog food. I usually cut up half a boiled egg as well. She also gets duck or venison grain/wheat free treats
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of food 4-6 times a day for 1-2 days.

4- If she continues to vomit or not willing to eat after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter