Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My 50# male coon dog/beagle mix started to wheeze intensely

Customer Question

My 50# ***** coon dog/beagle mix started to wheeze intensely last night(he wheezes @ night most evenings) & have a honking goose sound for 5-6 repetitions & then gag & bring up phlegm. This would happen every 20 minutes or so. It is continuing today-any ideas?
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It sounds like he might be having an allergic reaction causing a reverse sneeze.

CLICK HERE for video of a reverse sneeze, often described as a honking noise.

You can try a few things to see if you note any improvement:

- steam of the shower will help dilate the airways and reduce the spasms and inflammatory response
- benadryl in the evenings at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours or just in the evenings to reduce the allergic component, it may cause mild sedation...
- I also have some success with a light pressure on the larynx which is the thicker part of the trachea that is spasming to force a swallow response. With my little dogs over time I start to say "swallow" as I massage and they have developed the ability to swallow on their own with this technique and I don't have to help them stop the behavior

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Altman. We will use your remedies-we appreciate your fast response.

You are very welcome, please let me know if I can do anything else for you both!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online an additional 30 minutes this evening.