Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

2 weeks ago my 8yr old Golden Retriever had diarrhea &

Customer Question

2 weeks ago my 8yr old Golden Retriever had diarrhea & vomiting. I took her to the vet who gave her a shot for vomiting, flagyl & amoxicillin and I fed her hamburger & rice. The vet also did blood tests at my request and everything was normal. My dog was better within a day or two. 2 days ago the same thing happened. Diarrhea followed by vomiting. She acts normal, not lethargic, but her nose has been warm and dry. Eden has no history of diarrhea or vomiting. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this and further tests she could have?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your Golden is suddenly having gi changes. I imagine a fecal evaluation was done as well and that is why the antibiotics were chosen to put her on?

My inclination when I have a dog that responds to medications but then relapses is to do a longer course of the antibiotic. I often will do a fecal evaluation the day of the appointment and then on the last day of antibiotics to ensure what I am seeing (clostridia, giardia, spirochetes are what we will treat with metronidazole) has completely resolved before stopping the antibiotics. If I still see evidence of change I will continue the antibiotics for a longer course versus if the fecal is clear. This will minimize the situation that your Golden is currently experiencing.

I would also advise a broad spectrum dewormer as a precaution and if there is no change abdominal x-rays +/- ultrasound to evaluate the intestinal tract for any abnormalities (ultrasound is going to be detailed in looking at intestinal wall thickness, lymph node irregularities, liver/ kidney/ spleen morphology to name a few) but is also more pricey and done by a specialist.

I also would discuss getting her on a veterinary probiotic to help her normal flora of the intestinal tract be able to fight whatever is going on more naturally and minimize the gi upset of the antibiotics themselves.

Lastly, getting started on an antacid for a 2-4 week period to reduce gi acid buildup, another cause for vomiting in some dogs. Dose is 0.25 mg/pound of pepcid (famotidine) every 12 hours or 0.5 mg/ pound every 24 hours of prilosec (omeprazole), both over the counter antacids.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am on-line another 30 minutes this evening...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!