Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate about 5 pills of 50mcg of Synthroid. She is

Customer Question
Hi, my dog just ate about...
my dog just ate about 5 pills of 50mcg of Synthroid. She is 35lbs.
Will that be a problem?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now Synthroid is a medication that we use in veterinary medicine to treat dogs with hypothyroidism. Therefore, right off the bat we know this isn’t an outright poisoning. As well, it is worth noting that this is a drug that is quite well tolerated in dogs.

In regards ***** ***** dog's total dose relative to her weight, this is actually still quite a low dose. It is possible that we could see mild signs (agitation, restlessness) but we'd not expect any serious harm here. Therefore, since this isn't a worrying dose, you can just monitor and keep her calm over the next 24 hours.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian