Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog ate mouse poison how do I make m throw up

Customer Question

dog ate mouse poison how do I make him throw up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much peroxide did you give already?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 1 hr. ago
8 0z.
30lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, if it has already been an hour, we do have risk of some absorption here already. Therefore, you will need to have him to his local vet for Vitamin K as soon as possible.

Otherwise, peroxide is the only safe option at home you can use. If you have only given this once, you can do so again right now.

And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid as much adverse issue as possible.

Otherwise, our other option here will be to consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, if it has been an hour, he will have some absorption here. Therefore, we need to do the above right now or otherwise get him to his vet for apomorphine treatment. Otherwise, afterwards, we'd need to have him on Vitamin K (More Info HERE) to block the effects of what he has absorbed from causing him harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much you r very helpful
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?
nekovet