Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

13 week old toy Yorkie vomiting dark fluid just had

Customer Question
13 week old toy Yorkie...
13 week old toy Yorkie vomiting dark brown fluid just had distemper shot Wednesday was fine last night got up this morning 7:00 am has been very lethargic has eaten very little went potty this am has had trouble popping twice in last 3 days had to pull stools out by hand no apparent fever or distended stomach
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Little Bit today. I hope that she is not continuing to progress as you have awaited a response. I can give you some basic guidelines for her but if she is not improving then please consider a veterinary er because these little guys can progress much more rapidly than a large breed dog and I would hate for this to be the case for her...

First and foremost please apply a small amount of karo syrup on her gumlines. Not enough to swallow but enough to coat the tip of a finger. Repeat in four hours to minimize any low glucose we can see in these littler breeds...

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/8 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/8 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Little Bit comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, wobbly on her feet, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Hi Richard Copley,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Bit. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian