Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I came home from work quite late to find that my dog had

Customer Question
pooped in his crate, which...
I came home from work quite late to find that my dog had pooped in his crate, which he has not done before and thrown up in his crate as well. I fed him dinner and he threw that up. He has now thrown up 3 times since I have been home. He is drinking water, I have taken him out 3 times and he has peed every time and the last time he had a small amount of diarrhea too. The vomit smells like poop too. He seems very lethargic and moans a lot. He is a 12 pound 18 month old chi weenie. Can I wait until morning to see how he's doing? I half think that he got himself sick by eating his own poop. He had done that before, but hasn't gotten sick. Alternatively, maybe he has a GI block? Not sure what to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was the stool in his crate diarrhea?

Is he keeping the water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

The stool in his crate was semi-soft as well as some liquid that was hard to tell if it was vomit or diarrhea.He is drinking a little water and hasn't vomited recently.
His gums seem normal color and also are moist.
When I push on his belly, he doesn't tense, but he does groan. And he has been breathing a little heavy for a while.
I don't really think he could have eaten anything abnormal. I gave him a mini bully bone right before I left for work, but he has had those before. 1 week ago he ate a little dark chocolate, but nothing seemed to come from that.

Thank you,

While dark chocolate is dangerous for dogs, we'd not expect that to be a factor here.

Now as long as you are sure that he couldn't have eaten anything harmful (since that is usually what makes a case urgent), we can tread with care at the moment and consider some supportive care. Of course, if he continues to groan (which raises concerns of belly discomfort), then we may need him seen sooner.

Now in regards ***** ***** care at the moment, you can consider trying him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac

We tend to want to use these 20 minutes before offering food to allow it to take effect. And of course, if he is has any pre-existing issues or is on any other medications that you haven't noted, you'd want to check with his vet before using these.

Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider tempting him with a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give him 30 minutes to settle. If he keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As his tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and then slowly wean back to his normal diet over a week.

Finally, there are some anti-diarrheals that can be used in dogs to slow things down for their gut if his stools are very runny. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber( which are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. But of course, before any of these, we want to address that nausea and vomiting.

Overall, your lad's signs do suggest GI upset targeting the intestines and the stomach together. Therefore, as long as he has had no access to anything toxic or non-edible, you can take the above steps to settle his stomach and monitor him closely. If you initiate these treatments now but he continues to groan, then we'd want him seen at this point. Otherwise, if we can settle his stomach, you can wait for his regular vet to open. Once they do, they can have a feel of his belly for sinister lumps and bumps or anything that doesn't belong. Depending on their findings, they will be able to treat him with antibiotics against bacterial gastroenteritis and anti-nausea medication by injection to help settle his stomach to get him back on track as quick as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I live in a remote place where these antacids you recommend will not be available at this time in the middle of the night. I do have rice/eggs is it bad to feed him without the antacid?

Hi again,

That is a shame as all are quite readily available at most stores (even grocery stores and gas stations). In any case, you can rest his stomach for a few hours and then try the light diet for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

you think if he keeps moaning that I should wake up our local vet ?

Hi again,

If he does and seems uncomfortable, then I think that is the safest option. Especially since he cannot tell us how painful he may be or if he has eaten something he should not have.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Thank you Dr. B.,
I am running on fumes right now and unable to think clearly. If this is a GI block, would it be disastrous to wait a couple of hours to seek treatment with the morning light?

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is the concern and it could be. We just cannot say for sure since we can't see the gut itself. And that is why I was saying if the groaning doesn't settle with a bit of supportive care, we are best to have it checked. Just because we don't want anything lurking in the gut that could be causing internal damage or cutting off gut circulation. So, if there is any chance he has eaten something that could cause blockage and he is groaning with this continously, we are best to err on the side of caution to just make sure we don't miss something that needs to be addressed now.

Take care,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian