Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What happens next, and how does it sound like he has, and

Customer Question
What happens next, and how...
What happens next, and how long does it sound like he has, and will I more than likely need to have him put to sleep?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi again,

I currently don't have the live phone call facility available. I am replying to your follow up question now and will have something with you in 5 minutes or so.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

There are a number of things that could happen next, and this will depend on the exact diagnosis of the mass. It is likely your vet will have the information on what the mass is, whether it is benign or malignant, and whether the mass has spread anywhere else in Mojo's body.

It is likely that you will have to put Mojo to sleep eventually - but hopefully this is quite some way away. It will ultimately depend on Mojo's quality of life, how much pain and irritation the mass is causing to him each day, and whether any further complications develop as a result of the mass (infection, or spread to other areas of his body). Because the mass can't be removed, it is likely it will enlarge, or that the area of ulceration will worsen over the coming months. So long as Mojo is eating and drinking ok, getting around the house as normal and interesting in play/exercise, and doesn't seem to be in pain or distress, then you are absolutely fine to continue, along with the plans for dealing with his mass in the meantime. When the time comes that Mojo's quality of life is really being affected however, then it will be fairest to have him put to sleep. Unless this mass is highly malignant (your vet will be able to let you know that information), then it is unlikely Mojo will die 'naturally' because of the mass. Therefore, because the mass will likely have an impact on his quality of life eventually, then eventually having him put to sleep will be the most fair option here.

Hopefully that is months, or even a year or two away! It will be a matter of taking each day as it comes and doing your best to keep Mojo happy in the meantime.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Hopefully you received both answers to your questions. Please just let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding your boy.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mojo. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian