Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is throwing up foam and it looks like some mcucus

Customer Question

my dog is throwing up white foam and it looks like some mcucus with diarrhea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get my answer. I am going to sue for fraud.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Can you read the above please. Please let me know if you would like to continue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long has this been going on
1-2 hours
2- How much does he weigh?
20-30 pounds
Not that I saw.
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and No, he is now lying down trying to sleep
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The diarrhea like vomit is not stool but the stomach content. You see, once the stool reaches the colon it can not go back up to the stomach.

In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter