Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 year old neutered pit mix, fractured a tooth and had it

Customer Question
Hello, My 6 year old neutered...
My 6 year old neutered pit mix, fractured a tooth and had it removed 11 days ago. The vet said they had a tough time and it fractured several times while removing it, so they left part of the root in. They also said he had a bit of an issue with the anesthesia they used ("DKT" and "isofluorine") and was only taking a breath every 2 minutes or so, so they gave him a reversal. He has a history of not doing well with propofol and was apnic during a CT scan when he was 2 yrs old.
Anyways, 3 days ago he started acting odd, he wouldn't walk, was lethargic, was sitting with an arched back, shaking and drooling excessively, we rushed him to the ER vet and they said they thought he was very nauseated and had gastritis and ulcers from the rimadyl he was on for tooth pain. They also said it could be pancreatitis but was unlikely since we didn't see him vomit, he had normal vitals and we didn't notice diarrhea (other than from the first few days when he was on soft food)
They gave us sucralfate, which he has been taking for 3 days now. He also is taking omeprazole and metoclopramide, (both of those meds he already takes daily) he has taken them since he was 2 yrs old for regurgitation issues he has.
Yesterday and today he refused to eat. Now in the last 2 hours he started acting odd once again. He seems lethargic, and not himself, he can't get comfortable and is sitting straight up in an odd position with a hunched back again. He is not drooling this time.
He has No vomiting or diarrhea that we noticed. I'm really not sure what could be going on with him! He is normally such a fun and happy dog. This is breaking my heart to see him act like this!
Any thoughts on what could be going on with him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I hope Miles is doing better for you today.

Has any blood work been run on him since the oral surgery? I worry about his organ function if his breathing was not good during the procedure. Do you know if he was on IV fluids during the anesthesia and if his blood pressure was monitored?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian