Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 year old yorkie has had loose stools few weeks now, and

Customer Question
Hi, my 7 year old...
Hi, my 7 year old yorkie has had loose stools for a few weeks now, and now I notice a somewhat bloated stomach. I am starting the de-worming process- anything else?
She is eating ok, also a bit lethargic
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There are a few things we can try to help reduce the loose stools but if there is no change, it is progressing to include blood or mucus, or the lethargy turns into a reduced appetite as well please have a veterinary exam to determine the cause of the loose stool

- Begin a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to settle her stomach
- 1 tsp canned pumpkin every 12 hours to also help bulk up her stools

If this is gastroenteritis related to parasites or stress this should help but if there is another underlying cause it might not subside so if there is no change within 24-48 hours then please consider a veterinary exam and a fecal evaluation at your veterinarian

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian