Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was just in a fight with a raccoon and has a few cuts

Customer Question

My dog was just in a fight with a raccoon and has a few cuts on his face. How should I handle this? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How deep are they? Are they gaping open?

Is he up to date on his rabies vaccine?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave you some further information on what to do.

Now injuries from wildlife need to be handled with care. To start, as long as these wounds are shallow and not gaping open, then we may not need to have them stitched (deeper ones or tears will need your vet to surgically close). If that is the case, you can start some topical care. While wearing gloves, you can clean and flush the wounds with a diluted antiseptic(either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color). This should be done 2-3 times a day, and discharges should be washed away. Afterwards, pat them dry and you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream. Of course, if this is very inflamed or you see/smell pus, then we’d want to have his local vet start him on antibiotics and dog say anti-inflammatories.

Otherwise, since this was a wild animal of an unknown rabies status, we do need to tread with care. If he has been vaccinated, he will need to be isolated at your home for at least 10-14 days for observation (it will be longer if he is not). Just to note, this required isolation can vary by state, so it would be advisable to ring your local vet practice and check if there is any additional quarantine time required by local law that needs to be followed

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )