Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My miniature chihuahua ate grapes today. Now she's shaking.

Customer Question
Are they toxic?...
My miniature chihuahua ate grapes today. Now she's shaking. Are they toxic?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How many grapes did Karmalita eat?

How much does she weigh?

How long ago did she eat the grapes?

Is she vomiting?

She ate two or three grapes about six hours ago. She weighs about three pounds. No vomiting, but she's shaking.

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry to hear that Karmalita is shaking. Unfortunately, grapes can be toxic to dogs though we do not currently know the exact part of the grape that causes the toxicity. The smallest toxic dose that has been reported is 0.32 ounces per kilogram. This means that at 3 pounds or 1.36 kg, she would have needed to ingest about 0.43 ounces of grapes to see any signs of toxicity. Unfortunately, eating 2-3 grapes at her size could potentially be enough to cause a toxicity.

The most common clinical signs of grape toxicity are vomiting, increased drinking, lethargy, diarrhea, tremors, and abdominal pain. Grape toxicity could cause kidney disease or even kidney failure if a large enough amount of grapes is ingested. I would not consider the amount of grapes that she ingested to be a severe toxicity though she did eat enough to potentially cause some clinical signs.

At this point, I would recommend taking her to an emergency hospital tonight if possible. She really should have some blood work checked and they will start her on IV fluids to prevent any kidney disease from the grapes. Home care treatments are going to be difficult unfortunately, since she ingested the grapes six hours ago.

Is there any chance she could survive this?

Since she is not vomiting, and did not eat a very large amount of grapes, I do think that her chances of survival are excellent. There is a good chance that she will have no kidney issues at all though since she is shaking I would recommend having a vet examine her, check some blood work, and start her on some fluids just to be safe.

If she ingested only two grapes and they were smaller grapes then she most likely will not be a risk for any problems at all though if she ingested 3 larger grapes there is a slight chance for some signs of toxicity.

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian