Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 2 year old husky/burnese mountain dog mix has been sick

Customer Question

My 2 year old husky/burnese mountain dog mix has been sick for 4 days. The first 2 days he was vomiting, which has stopped, but now he has had diarrhea about 10 times each day for the last 3 days. I have been mixing rice with his dog food, which he is eating, but he is losing weight. He lays around, but plays with the other dog, who is fine and healthy sporadically during the day. He is drinking, but not as much as usual. I have given him an Imodium twice today, 8 hours apart, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I don't know what else to do for him. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 2 year old boy who has had vomiting and diarrhea the last few days. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of possible causes for your boy's vomiting and diarrhea including anything from an infectious gastroenteritis (such as campylobacter, salmonella or even a protozoa like giardia), intestinal parasites, a partial foreign body obstruction, or even an internal organ issue or endocrine problem (such as pancreatitis for example). The fact this has been going on for a few days now is definitely quite a concern, and the combination of vomiting, and now diarrhea means that your boy has a high chance of being dehydrated right now.

Because of the strong risk of dehydration here, you definitely need to encourage your boy to drink plenty water. If he isn't keen on drinking water, then you could try making up a fresh chicken broth for him. For this, just boil up some chicken, scoop of the solids, allow the liquid to cool and feed this to him luke-warm. If he is turning his nose up to fluid altogether, and still having diarrhea, then he will quickly become dehydrated - so if this occurs, be sure to get him seen by your local vet asap for follow up and IV fluids. For his diet, change him off his current diet in case there is an issue with this. For now, you could start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Hopefully he will happily eat this, and the fact this is very bland and easy to digest will give his intestinal tract a bit of a rest.

As for the Immodium, this can be used safely in dogs, but you will need to use an appropriate dose rate in order to have an effect. You can read more about the use of Immodium in dogs, as well as recommended dose rates online HERE .

As this has been going on for a total of 4 days now, I really would encourage you to get him seen by your local vet tomorrow if you can. It is highly likely (given his symptoms, and his age) that this is an infectious issue. For this reason - please also take in a fresh fecal sample in with you. Your vet can send this away for a full fecal culture and float to rule out an infectious or parasitic cause. Also ensure your boy is up to date with deworming treatments, and be sure to use a reliable all-wormer for this such as Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur.

For this evening, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully things start to firm up for him soon. As above, because this has been going on for a few days now, I really would encourage you to follow up with your regular vet tomorrow if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check up quickly to see how your boy is doing now? Hopefully his symptoms have settled now.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E