Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have changed my dog's food, using guidelines recommended

Customer Question
Hello, I have changed...
Hello, I have changed my dog's food, using guidelines recommended ie. 25/75 split and gradually increasing mix. She's been on it for two meals only and this morning I noticed a soft, but formed stool, encased in mucus. Could this be the food change? She was on Royal Canin and now I'm trying Orijen, since getting Royal Canin is difficult (live on an island....).
Thanks,
Natalie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, Natalie. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

It is quite possible that the diet is our culprit here. While a slow change as you noted is always advisable, some dogs can be sensitive even to that. Therefore, you may need to take a step back, wean her over even slower and give her gut and its natural microflora more time to adjust.

As well, to help that microflora (often what is upset by diet change), you could consider using a dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Protexin Enterogenic) or if the stool is very soft, a kaolin/probiotic combination product (ie Fast Balance, Propectalin, etc). These are all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. And this would just support the gut better as you make this slow transition.

Overall, with you currently weaning Themba over to a new diet, it is likely that this is why we are seeing stool changes. So, take a step back, consider a probiotic, and do your weaning over a longer period. As long as she settles, we are happy. But be aware that some diets just are not as well tolerated by an individual and that would also be a concern here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian