Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 1 year old Pom and she is agitated panting ,pacing

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old Pom and she is agitated panting ,pacing and going around in circles and whinning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she vomited up something that looked like rawhide and something that was black also .......it was solid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She won't sit still and is obviously in pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this rawhide?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds +multiply that by 6)?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Was there any blood or brown material with the vomit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No her gums seem normal but her tummy is tight and she keeps spinning around 66 on her breathing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She wants her tummy rubbed and if I quit she becomes nervous
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her vomit was chunky and white with something black on one end
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Do you think the black thing looks like a digested blood clot? Or is it hard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She never finished the rawhide
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

First, I am glad that the gums are normal but that respiratory rate is severely elevated. As well, with the history of a rawhide and belly tightness, this is ringing alarm bells of a blockage or that the raw hide is at least caught in the stomach. Therefore, unfortunately there are no safe or reliable home treatments that can be used. Instead, this is an urgent situation.

Now since she did vomit rawhide, there is a chance this is still only in the stomach. If it is, then if we act quickly her vet may be able to remove it with their endoscope (scope with a camera) to cure this. They can also use injectable gut safe pain relief to give her some analgesia. Once that is done, her vet can start her on gastroprotectants to help soothe her stomach and aid its healing.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Overall, it doesn't matter if she finished the raw hide. Vomiting pieces of it and then showing these signs of blockage or gut trauma are worries enough. Therefore, we need to be proactive if she is this distressed. And if we can get her seen urgently, then we may be able to get any other pieces out before they get lodged in the intestines (which would require surgery to remove).

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best for Chloe,

Dr. B.