Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Huskey is 11. Spayed. This evening she started

Customer Question

My Huskey is 11. Spayed. This evening she started discharging a clear, odorless fluid. Licking her privates, drinking more water and breathing heavy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There are a handful of causes of the symptoms you have noted (typically with increased water intake the urine will be odorless and colorless due to the dilution of the increased water intake):

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Diabetes
3.) Kidney disease
4.) Endocrine disease

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please allow the increase in water intake to ensure we are not leading to dehydration.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause, diabetes, or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the changes you have noted for her urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with! I am on-line another 15 minutes this evening.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!