Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Ok, thank you. My wolf (very sweet) just ate a 4 small hot

Customer Question
Ok, thank you. My...
Ok, thank you. My wolf (very sweet) just ate a 4 small hot dogs including the plastic wrapping. This is about 50 minutes ago. What should I do. please and thank you? Ann Magdalene
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup ate 4 hot dogs and the plastic wrap.

While hot dogs are fatty and spicy a big fellow probably would be Ok eating them. My concern is the wrapping, which could become wadded up and lead to an obstruction.
The wrapping may pass but since he just ate it, it's worth trying to get him to vomit it back up.
You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks or in a little ice cream (no more than 3 tablespoons even if he weighs more than 40 pounds).
Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the plastic is present.

To try and settle his stomach after he is done vomiting you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach and can be used for a few days if necessary.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber if he doesn’t vomit the plastic to help push the pieces through, or just in case any pieces are left.

If you don't have peroxide you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.
If he doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.

If he doesn't vomit the plastic back up but starts vomiting later, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian