Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pug Started to give birth at 6:30 am this morning. She

Customer Question
was panting a lot I...
My pug Started to give birth at 6:30 am this morning. She was panting a lot I already made her a welping box weeks before to ensure she would be comfortable she started to push and I knew if she pushed longer than a half hour to 60minutes something was wrong no puppies had been born yet she continued to push. I got extremely worried so I put my gloves on and laid her on her side I noticed the head of the pup was beginning to come out I started to gently pull as she pushed then I seen the puppies tounge and mouth I then knew things were going very wrong there was no sac. I finally got the puppy out with Cloey my baby pugs help of course. The puppy was not breathing so I quickly cleared the puppies throat and mouth nostrils etc... I continued to rub with the warm wet sanitized towel trying so desperately to help the puppy breath I even gave the puppy mouth to mouth but I could not save her. She had suffocated while being stuck in the birth Canal my heart was broken I tried for up to 30min but to no avail. My pug was so exhausted and I'm sure heartbroken she knew exactly what had happened she just kept cleaning the puppy and laid next to her daughter. I knew I had to do something fast because there were no puppies coming out and she wasn't contracting any more. I forced her gently to get up I told her we are not finished we walked around the back yard for about 5min then came back inside she went straight to her welping box still no contractions so I rememberd what I had read about being able to stimulate her and I prayed to God she would begin contracting well she did I seen her start to push again but this time only the amniotic sac came out now I have called several vets so that I could possibly get her in to see if she needed a emergency C Section at this point it is Labor day and I have been turned away 6 times now and I'm very scared and not sure what to do? She is not in distress she is sleeping at the moment but my gut instinct knows there has to be at least one more pup inside her belly. What do I do Rebecca? Should I continue to try to stimulate her again? I love Cloey she is my child I cannot have children and I don't know what I would do if something were to happen to her? I'm at a big loss and I need help. Any advice would be much appreciated? Thank you and God bless
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am so sorry to heart about Cloey Belle. I am very worried by your description. None of the vet clinics will help you?

She may not need a C section, sometimes an injection to strenghten contractions is all that is needed but if that does not work, she could need C section. I hope you can find a vet who will see her. We can hope that the one puppy was the only one, and she is not in distress because she is finished.

No ma'am I called all 6 within a 30mile radius. They said stay calm and patient. I have and I'm sure they would not help because I only have $300 of the $600 for an emergency C Section. I'm educcted in this matter but I have exaushted my options and I do not know what else to do? I have even thought about putting her in the car and driving to the Emergency Vet myself no matter what they say.
Oxytocin yes ma'am that is another suggestion I had mentioned to the Nurse.
I've been praying all day constantly.

Yes, I would think about going to the emergency hospital. Perhaps an Xray will show there are not more puppies, or they could give the oxytocin

drive to the nearest emergency Vet and beg them to look at her? Offer them the 300$ I have in pocket right now? I thought at least one of them would accept payments they all said they do not accept payments.

Honestly, I would. They should examine her, feel for more puppies, and maybe take an Xray. Perhaps she does not have any more, or if she does, the oxytocin may help. The only other thing is too keep watching her. If she is not in distress, if she will eat and drink, maybe there was only the one puppy.

Thank you so very much. I will feel a whole lot better just taking her. She is awake now she is moaning a little she keeps licking and cleaning herself. By any chance do you think honestly she could still have one healthy puppy? The truth may hurt but I would rather here a honest expert opinion please?
Also her stomach is still swole she is eating and drinking. I just really hoped for one of her puppies to Carry her Bloodline. The puppy that died looked just like her but a little brindle. She was a female I named her Pepper because she was mostly solid black with one white stripe on her chest she was tiny.

I think there is only a very small chance she has a live puppy in her. If she is eating, she may be done with labor. If you look at her gums, are they pink in color?

One side is pink the other is black. But she has always had black gums. My husband just told me she actually ran when he took her outside a few minutes ago. But she is still acting a little nervous in her welping box. Especially when her sister Harley looks into the room.
She's still very protective.

Yes, black gums are normal pigment. It is good that the nonblack part is pink. It is a good sign she ran outside, too. Maybe she is done. Acting protective is normal, her hormones are the same as if she had puppies to care for and protect.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian