Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pug has been shaking her head since yesterday. I tried to

Customer Question

My pug has been shaking her head since yesterday. I tried to clean out her ears with a q-tip but am afraid to go too far in and possibly push the wax in even further. Yesterday I squirted in some Nolvsan Otic which vet gave me for ear cleaning, then rubbed her ears, then swabbed and dried ears but she is shaking head again today. In past, vet has used oil to clean ear - should I try that? Or what else might help? I will call vet tomorrow anyway.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I must say that you never want to use Q-tips in your dog's ear. Pushing wax deeper isn't a worry as much as it is very easy to perforate the ear drum with these ear cleaners. Therefore, one should only use a cotton ball or cotton wool only as deep as your finger would reach. Now since we have an unknown ear drum status I would not advise the use of oil or any more Nolvasan. This is because if it is perforated, then these treatments could get into the middle ear drum and cause more harm then good (some cleaners can even cause deafness or seizures if they get into the middle ear).

Instead, the only safe option at this stage would be to use sterile saline. You can buy this OTC as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. (These also tend to come in good bottles for using to gently flushing ears). This can be used twice daily to flush the ear and potentially flush out any wax you missed. And this can be used until you do have her seen by her vet. They will be able to scope her ears and assess the root of her head shaking (ie ear mites, infection, yeast, etc) but also check her ear drum to just make sure it is intact and therefore that it is safe to use intra-ear treatments.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I hope this information is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. B.