brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Days my dog has been getting progressively more lethargic

Customer Question

For 2 days my dog has been getting progressively more lethargic and has occasional mild episodes of shaking. He eats and eliminates normally and well. Can I wait until Tuesday, after the holiday to take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. Is Rolly getting around normally? Able to do stairs and jump, etc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but slower than usual.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

OK, since he is still eating normally, I think you can wait and continue to monitor him. Restrict his activity - no stairs or jumping - in case his problems is musculoskeletal pain.

Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

If you notice any other problems, such as respiratory difficulty, loss of appetite, or restlessness, I would take him to an emergency clinic before Tuesday.

Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

I would start with a physical exam, then consider blood testing and x-rays depending on the results of the exam.

Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

Continue to feed him as normal. Do not start any medications at this time.

Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is having jerking like petit mal seizures on occasion. He is a rescue dog I've had for 6 mos.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

Do you know if he has a history of seizures?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have no info but I have not observed the seizures before the last two days. Could he develop seizures due to age?
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

Idiopathic epilepsy usually presents before the age of 6 years. In an older dog, I would be concerned about the possibility of a primary brain issue such as a tumor. It will be helpful if you can get a video of one of these episodes. Also, during the episode, try to get his attention and see if he is responsive. Note how long it lasts, and if he is immediately normal after or if there is a period in which he seems confused, disoriented, hungry, etc.

Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nancy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rolly. How is everything going?
Dr. Susan