Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is leaving behind some "stuff" wherever she lays. I

Customer Question

My dog is leaving behind some "stuff" wherever she lays. I first thought it was small pieces of leaves that got stuck on her fur -- but there's far too many, and she doesn't spend much time outside. Now that I'm looking at them, they're brownish green & maybe some kind of bug casing - ? See them in the shaggy rug in my bedroom outside her crate, on the towels in the crate, found them under the blanket she lays on on the couch. She has been a little lethargic & has had diarrhea off & on. Help!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Are they shaped like rice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. They're greenish brown, but vary. Trying To attach a picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's on the edge of a business card if that helps with the size.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, they do look like pieces of a plant that she is bringing in her fur. I am going to opt out and allow other experts to comment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But there's a lot of them. And I have a dog that barely likes the outsides. They're all over, including underneath blankets that she hasn't turned over. She doesn't burrow or dig, so no way she's pushing them under.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara - I'm a licensed veterinarian and my father was one too - I was raised in a veterinary clinic. I've also reviewed that photo as well and it really does not look like anything parasitic or anything I'd expect to have come from your dog other than something that got entangled or stuck in her fur. Perhaps it could've come from somewhere else in the house? Perhaps if you are able to attach more pictures, we can come up with an explanation. It also would be a good idea to have a fecal sample checked by her vet for intestinal parasites if she's been having loose stools.

Please let me know if you are able to grab any other photos :)

~Dr. Sara