Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog seems to have pain in s back end, he can not go up

Customer Question

my dog seems to have pain in his back end, he can not go up stairs very well. he was out in the yard eating grass too. he won't eat his regular food, Purina Healthy weight food. he is a Beagle. he will eat oven roasted chicken, so he is being picky maybe because he is in pain? i do have Caprofen caplets for my other beagle, his brother for a leg pain issue he had in June. Should i give them to this one?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you think he is sore in his hips/back or his rectum/anal glands?

If you press on his belly, is that comfortable?

How long has he been off food? Is he willing to eat a good amount of the chicken at leasr?

Any vomiting, retching or gagging?

How much does he weigh?

What milligrams is the Carprofen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think hips maybe because he can walk ok, he did not eat his food last night, and he is willing to eat as much "people food" as i give him like he ate a piece of my toast. i am just trying stuff to see what he will and will not each. i give him a small carrot for a treat sometimes, he won't eat that. No vomitting, or gagging. he weighs 32 lbs. Carprofen 75 mg but they are cut in half by my vet for his brother who weighs the same.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad that he is having no other signs of GI upset (since the grass eating is one), but I do need to warn you that we need to get him eating before we give Carprofen. This is because a Beagle that isn't keen to eat is actually quite a serious worry of stomach troubles (as many of the breed live for food) but also the Carprofen cannot be given on an empty stomach as it can cause irritation there if we do.

Therefore, in this case, I would advise erring on the side of caution. To start, I'd advise treating him with an antacid. This will address nausea if it is what is putting him off food but will also offset the risk of using the Carprofen. In regards ***** ***** safe options, you can use:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
We'd want to give that 20 minutes before offering food to ensure absorption. Afterwards, we'd want to see if we can get him to eat. If he is being fussy, then do try him on a light diet option (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese). If we can get him to eat for us and keep it down, we can then try him on a low dose of Carprofen. For his size, his dose would only be 40% of a tablet every 24 hours. If they are cut in half, then you will need to try to remove ~10% from the half to get the right dose for him).

Overall, I would tread with care here if we have a Beagle that is not keen to eat and eating grass. The antacid will help with any stomach based upset but also offset any the Carprofen could cause. If you try this and he isn't settling in the next 12-24 hours, shows any belly pain, or black stools, then we'd want to plan to have a check as soon as his vet is open to pinpoint the root of his signs and initiate any other treatment as needed.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )