Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog has a dew claw injury, but im not sure whats

Customer Question
wrong...
I think my dog has a dew claw injury, but im not sure whats wrong
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Please give me some more details on this injury, what it looks like and how it happened?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

I would like to speak on the phone- its faster. My number is(###) ###-####

No problem, glad to talk this over with you by phone,

I will open the phone dialogue box ..

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I accepted it

Hello again,

Here is some information following on from our phone call.

1. Aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example all of which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you!! <3

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian