Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an 11 year old male Scottish Terrier that has

Customer Question
developed small white flaky spots...
I have an 11 year old male Scottish Terrier that has developed small white flaky spots on his back and rear. It doesn't seem to bother him but when i inspected them closer the skin has small bumps on the skin. The largest 1/4" in diameter.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Are the bumps red or inflamed?

No they are white dry patches on the fur with tiny bumps on the skin. I tried to scrape one and the skin was raw. He doesn't seem to have any pain when I touch or scape the area.

Thanks for the information. While it could be infected, it sounds more like a problem with the oil glands. Sometimes they can get inflamed and irritated (and even infected). It may help to put him on an oral Omega 3 supplement and/or a topical Omega 6 supplement (both made for dogs specifically). That is more for long term control, though. I would probably try a benzoyl peroxide based shampoo because that can help with oil gland and infectious issues on the skin. You may be able to find one at your nearest major pet store, but you can usually find on online with a search for benzoyl peroxide shampoos. You vet would most likely have one as well. You can use it a couple times a week and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing. If this is a focal area, you can just try treating that area only, instead of doing a whole bath. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I am not able to do phone calls at this time, but I can opt out and see if another expert can assist you with that.

Well, it is a little on the blurry side, but a skin infection or oil gland problem are still the two most likely scenarios. Ringworm is possible. I would expect that to develop into multiple lesions, though. A skin mite infection is less likely but still needs to be considered. I think treating with an antiseborrheic shampoo would be the best thing to do over the long weekend and have it evaluated on Tuesday if still not looking better. I would prefer a benzoyl peroxide based shampoo, but a chlorhexidine based shampoo can help as well. I don't it is an emergency issue that requires an exam this weekend. You can try shining a black light on it if you have one. If the actual hair shafts are glowing, then it is likely ringworm. If they don't glow, though, that doesn't rule it out. A ringworm culture would be needed at that point. A skin scraping and microscopic evaluation would be needed to make sure it isn't mites. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian