Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My lg. dog has not eaten in a week and is dragging s feet

Customer Question
My lg. dog has not...
My lg. dog has not eaten in a week and is dragging his feet today
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Both the symptoms you have written are concerning. To start, anytime a dog goes longer than 3 days not eating very much indicates a significant problem. I am not sure I could guess at the cause without performing a physical exam and some lab testing. There are many possibilities. To link the two problem he could have something which is causing bleeding and progressive lethargy/weakness or a back/spinal problem or a systemic infection (bacterial, viral, fungal), and the list continues.

The absolute best next step for him is to have him seen today, on emergency if needed. This cannot wait any longer.

If you are absolutely unable to have him seen I can give you some hints to try that might help his appetite but there is not much we can do about the dragging of the feet without an exam and some testing. Medications to help that would be prescription and really do depend on the problem.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified