jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My step dad has a pomeraniain/malteseshitzu dog we have

Customer Question

my step dad has a pomeraniain/malteseshitzu dog we have tried to give him a hair cut but every time we try we end up getting bitten we have tried a cone on his head also a muzzle and also we have also had a light sedation from our local vet and he fights this off and we still get bitten we tried to trim him with scissors and as soon as he sees them he goes mad when his wool get long it knots very bad and he starts to pall it out and this hurts him also loves a bath .please help as we can't give this dog a hair cut with out wearing gloves and being bitten thank bev griffiths
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You may need to desensitize the dog to the scissors and muzzle first before trying to groom the dog yourself. I recommend a basket style muzzle as the dog can still drink, eat and breath normally. Dogs tend to not mind that type of muzzle as much as the ones that hold the mouth closed. What you do is put the muzzle on but don't try and groom the dog. After the dog doesn't appear to be looking for the scissors when the muzzle is on, progress to bringing the scissors out but don't cut. Feed your dog tasty treats like hot dog slivers when the dog is acting calm.

Eventually work up to petting him with the scissors while feeding treats. Let him associate the treats with the scissors and muzzle and he won't be as likely to try and bite at the first sign of grooming. Now a trick some groomers I know use is to create a sling with holes for the legs to slip through where the dog is lifted off the floor by a few inches. The head is usually held with a head halter and leash to prevent them from whipping the head around to bite. With the feet off the ground and head secured, they are able to groom the dog in relative safety. It also help you be able to trim the nails and legs much easier.

You also have the option of taking him to a professional groomer to have him cut. They are not that expensive especially if you only take them a few times a year.

Another option is tranquilizers from the vet. This might make him calm enough to allow you to trim him.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .