Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 17 day old chihuahua puppy passed blood thru her urine at

Customer Question
last feeding, what causes this...
my 17 day old chihuahua puppy passed blood thru her urine at last feeding, what causes this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy. I'm so sorry she's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.

Before I type in my response, please type in a short reply so I know we are properly connected and that you understand how the website works. Then I will be here to chat with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

thank you for your fast response

Good. I'm glad you're there. Please rest assured this is not an uncommon problem. It can happen a lot. The most common reasons for blood in the urine of such a young puppy are...

• Trauma. This is especially common in bottle-fed puppies where a human inadvertently rubs too hard to get the puppy to void.
  • Sepsis. Bloody urine can result from a severe (life-threatening) bacterial infection.
  • Clotting disorders. Some puppies are born with or acquire problems that prevent their blood from clotting normally. This can show up as any type of abnormal bleeding.

On to what you should do about this...

(typing more)

until today her urine has been normal/clear/free of blood

While some folks are inclined to take a "wait and see" approach when a puppy passes bloody urine, I tend to be a bit more aggressive just because young and tiny puppies can go downhill so quickly. If she were my patient, I would want to start her on antibiotics, probiotics (to help restore normal flora because antibiotics are so hard on such young patients), and vitamin K for treating the easily-treated types of clotting disorders

This approach is also what is recommended by veterinary internal medicine specialists.

So the safest bet is to get her to a vet for this type of treatment as quickly as possible, even though she's been doing just fine before today.

Does this help to answer your question?

I want to be as helpful as possible so you have the information you need to help your puppy. Please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please remember to ACCEPT my answer so I receive credit for helping you. If you are not satisfied please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Please remember that without your ACCEPT, the website keeps your entire deposit.

Thank you.

Just checking in to ask how your puppy is doing. I've been worried.

Thanks!

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian