Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dogs ear is dropping won't go back up its a yorkie 7 years

Customer Question
old...
Dogs ear is dropping won't go back up its a yorkie 7 years old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When ear droop is seen both primary ear disorders and facial nerve paralysis are considered. Max's vet will need to scope Max's ear in order to determine if the ear is reactive (inflamed secondary to an allergic dermatitis), infected with either bacteria or yeast, or neoplasia is present. Facial nerve paralysis also will cause a rapid onset of drooling from one side of the mouth, an inability to blink, occasional deviation of the nose away from the affected side, and food may collect in the affected commissure of the lips causing halitosis. The menace and palpebral reflex is absent in the ipsolateral (same side as the ear droop) side. It's important to note that inner ear disease can affect the facial nerve as it courses through the petrosa bone in contact with the vestibulocochlear nerve.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian