Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Allergic conjunctivitis seems to be what my dog has.

Customer Question
However, the two different types...
Allergic conjunctivitis seems to be what my dog has. However, the two different types of drops nor the Benedryl helped. Now I'm worried that it might be cataracts. Can I send a picture?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bella's eyes. Yes, you can post a picture here! There should be a paper clip icon above to help you.

I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Cataracts are inside the eye, in the lens. Conjunctivitis is swelling of the tissues around the eyes. The two would look very different. Cataracts do not usually cause conjunctivitis.

Conjunctivitis can be caused by allergies, infections, glaucoma, a parasite called Oncocerca, and irritants in the environment.

Older dogs all get a haziness to the lenses of the eyes, which is a normal age related change called "lenticular sclerosis". It is not the same as a cataract.

Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing your picture. Rebecca

I made a mistake, I meant glaucoma. That is what I'm most worried about. I can't seem to upload the photo. The third eyelid is swollen and red and the eyeball is very red too. The haziness / blue tint is age related and not abnormal.

Sorry I missed you; you got back to me after I left for work.

Poor Bella! She looks unhappy, and that eye looks bad. This does look like more than allergic conjunctivitis; the cornea (the normally clear surface of the eye) appears to be nearly opaque. This is usually due to inflammation, which can in turn be caused by trauma, a corneal ulcer, or glaucoma.

The only way to know if this is glaucoma is to measure the pressure of her eyeball.

If she were my own dog, I would be staining the cornea to check for a corneal ulcer, and measuring her eye pressure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

How is Bella doing?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian