Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have an 11 year old yorkie 10 pound yorkie with a likely

Customer Question

i have an 11 year old yorkie 10 pound yorkie with a likely torn ACL from about a month ago. i initially had her on steroids which i tapered down and took her off after about 3 weeks. She immediately got worse and I took her to her vets last wednesday. Her vet started her on Metacam, 9 drops QD. Over the weekend, she started lower GI bleeding with bright red blood from her rectum so we stopped the Metacam on Sunday. She was stated on Flagyl and an antibiotic on Tuesday and she continued on a bland diet. Today, Thursday, she is limping terribly, not putting any weight on her leg, and looks pathetic, especially this far out from her initial injury. She is eating only very minimal amounts of nonfat cottage cheese and is refusing her chicken/rice. I called the vet and asked about a steroid injection in her knee which the tech said they didn't do, she said they could give an injection but not into a specific site. The only other health issue my dog has is a collapsing trachea, which really only causes problems when she gets excited. Should I take my dog to our specialty hospital for an injection? Im sure an ortho vet could do the injection. I am NOT going to have surgery on her knee, I just want to palliate the pain/immobility. What are my options? Thanks so much.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

HI this is DRB and I will try and help you. First I want to state upfront that I am a DVM with 25 years experience and I am also a Certified Canine REhab Therapist with advanced training in pain management. I also want to state that I am answering this question because I care deeply about animal pain and suffering. You are not going to like what I have to say. REhab therapists will look for any way they can to help a dog and I will tell you that surgery is the ONLY APPROPRIATE course with this injury.However, having said that if you have made up your mind, no one can change that. If you are not going to do surgery then your dog's best hope is to see a CCRT like myself and I can tell you where to look for one. But before they do therapy on your dog if they are worth their weight weight they will tell you the prognosis without sx is very guarded for pain free living. Please let me know if I can help you further as I check my computer every night and will get back to you. Respectfully, ***** ***** I would not do a steroid injection into her joint.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My vet said she wouldn't recommend surgery with her age. I also just had my other yorkie go through 2 surgeries for ACL tear and $5000 later, she's right where she was before her first surgery! Just not going through that again. How about a 1-2 inch ace wrap wrapped around her leg them abdomen for support? How about morphine short term for the pain. Would the CCRT train me on how to best help Zoey or is this a multi-visit type of therapy? Thanks
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about the failed surgeries. The CCRT could fit her with a leg brace and also be the most help with pain modalities. This is your best option if not doing sx. You would have to tell the CCRT up front that you could only do a specific amount of visits. That would be your best bet for pain control. And yes, the CCRT could train you on how to best help Zoey.

Please let me know if you have other questions and I will get back with you tonight. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know a CCRT in the San Diego, 92126 area? Approximately how much should I expect to pay for the leg brace (I know it varies, just an estimate, please)?
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

http://aarcsd.com/

website above of one closest to you. Phone number:Call today: (858)(###) ###-####/strong>

As far as leg brace goes, I do not know because all of my patients have gotten surgery and I have never had to order one but I would expect to pay several hundred dollars.

I do hope this will help Zoey. If you are happy with my service, please accept my answer. And if you have any other questions certainly let me know. Most Sincerely, DRB