Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My little diabetic mini pin got ringworm while staying at

Customer Question
the vets for three days...
My little diabetic mini pin got ringworm while staying at the vets for three days and nights . We have been treating. Her for a month and she seems to not be
Responding to the medicine ketoconazole or the shampoo. Our vet seems out of
Options please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

If you've seen no improvement with a combination of ketoconazole orally and a miconazole-containing shampoo, the diagnosis needs to be reconsidered or another antifungal drug tried. Itraconazole (Sporanox) dosed at 5-10 mg/kg daily with food is the drug of choice for many of us and fluconazole at 10 mg/kg daily with food or terbinafine dosed at 30-40 mg/kg daily are good alternatives. Candy is also handicapped by her diabetes which can make resolving skin infections more difficult than in dogs otherwise normal. Remember to bathe 1-2 times weekly (a shampoo containing a combination of chlorhexidine and ketoconazole or miconazole is recommended) and continue a systemic drug until 3-4 weeks beyond negative follow-up fungal culture results. The average duration of therapy is 8-12 weeks in dogs otherwise normal.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Candy. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian