Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 4 year old male Havanese. Yesterday, he started

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old male Havanese. Yesterday, he started hacking and coughing periodically throughout the day, even throwing up several times... He is also shaking and is just not himself (running around and jumping on people)... What could be causing this, before I bring him to his vet???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Does he vomit during an episode of hacking/coughing or does he vomit without coughing?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he eating and drinking?

4- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel, groomer, dog park, etc. in the last week or so?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He vomits only during the hacking/coughing episodes and not all the time... He doesn't have any pre existing medical conditions. He is eating and drinking, although not much. He has not been around any other dogs and he his current on all of his vaccinations.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the hacking/coughing your dog is experiencing can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are:

1- An upper respiratory infection.

2- A collapsing trachea: This is when the rings around the trachea (tube connecting mouth to lungs) become weak and collapse.

3- An underlying heart disease: Patients with heart disease will often have a similar cough caused by either fluid accumulation in the lungs or the heart enlarges and places pressure on the thoracic trachea.

4- Other: Lung disease, tumors, foreign body, etc.

The vomiting is common with any of the above conditions, this is a consequence of the forceful hacking. Once the cough is treated and corrected the vomiting will stop.

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter