Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dogs dewclaw is torn off and s nerve exposed. The

Customer Question

My dogs dewclaw is torn off and his nerve exposed. The bleeding has stopped but he's clearly in pain and can't settle down to go to sleep. I'm taking him to the vet in the morning but have no dog pain medicine in my house. Can I safely give him baby aspirin until he can see his vet tomorrow morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Does Cooper take any medications or have any medical conditions? How much does he weigh?

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I ma so sorry that this has taken so long and I hope Cooper is feeling better. In this situation, aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs is the only safe over the counter pain reliever you can give to Cooper. I hope he feels better....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****