Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog is not eating about two days now what can I do to get

Customer Question

My dog is not eating about two days now what can I do to get her to eat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Pretty. I'm so sorry she isn't eating, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.

Please type in a short reply so I know you are online and ready to discuss Pretty's situation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok what can I do to get her to eat?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Good. I'm glad you're there. I know that sounds like a simple question, but it actually isn't. In order to get her to eat, we have to find out why she isn't eating and fix that problem.

(typing more...)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Is she showing any other signs of problems?

• vomiting?
  • diarrhea?
  • coughing a lot?
  • sneezing a lot?

And is she urinating and defecating normally?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Diarrhea occasionally and vomiting from Time to time before she was hacking but,that has calmed down alot I'm giving her medicine (CLAVAMOX)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

What was the Clavamox prescribed for, please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was prescribed for her hacking.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I understand. And was there no vomiting or diarrhea before the clavamox?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I ask because Clavamox can cause appetite loss, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right no vomiting and no diarrhea before medication.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Based on what you've told me, you have a 6-month-old female maltipoo who is sick with a cough (although it's getting better on Clavamox) but is also now not eating, vomiting, and having diarrhea.

That means one of two things is going on to make her not eat...

1. The Clavamox is upsetting her stomach and causing her to lose her appetite, or...

2. She has some type of illness that is causing the vomiting, diarrhea, and appetite loss.

Either way this warrants at the very least a phone call to your vet, if not a visit. Your vet may want to try switching her to a different antibiotic, or may want to see her to try to determine what the cause of her appetite loss is.

No matter what, you can rest assured of this: once she's healthy her appetite will return.

So, the answer to your question of what do you need to do to get your dog to eat is, get her healthy.

I do hope that helps to answer your question.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Does that give you the information you need?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I try a different dog food perhaps right now she is eating (True Food) living nutrition for small Breed.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Is the current food that she's refusing to eat the same food she's been eating all along?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

It would be VERY UNLIKELY for her to suddenly refuse to eat the food she's been eating all along. It's much more likely that she's refusing to eat because of whatever is making her vomit and have diarrhea. In other words, because she's ill.

Suddenly changing foods can make even a healthy puppy sick to its stomach. I would not advise changing her food.

I know it's tempting to think that perhaps changing her food might get her to eat, but it's a bad idea. Please rest assured that a puppy who is vomiting and having diarrhea isn't eating because she's sick, not because she doesn't like the food.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay...well I guess there is not much I can do from here.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Right. Unfortunately a puppy who is refusing to eat, vomiting, and having diarrhea is sick and needs to go to the vet. Your vet will be able to sort out if she's got an upset stomach from the Clavamox, or if there is some other reason.

But please do not change the food for a puppy who is already sick.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

If your vet thinks it's the Clavamox making her lose her appetite, vomit, and have diarrhea, she can be switched to a different one.

If your vet thinks there's some other illness that's causing her to lose her appetite, vomit, and have diarrhea, your vet will be able to prescribe the appropriate treatment.

There is no home remedy for your situation.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Umm no that is pretty much all ??? I have for now.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Okay. Please remember you can return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. I'll be notified via email and will do my best to help.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, please remember to ACCEPT my answer and offer positive feedback so I may receive credit for helping you.

If you are not satisfied with the information I've provided, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

It's been my pleasure helping you tonight. I want to be sure Pretty gets back to being healthy as soon as possible.