Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 mo old german shepherd ate about 15-20 birth control

Customer Question
pills. Is this harmful? Need...
My 6 mo old german shepherd ate about 15-20 birth control pills. Is this harmful? Need medical attention?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- What is the name of the pills or active ingredient and milligrams?

2- How much does Gabbi weigh?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

4- How long has it been since she ate them?

It's Minastrin24She weighs about 42 lbsIt's been at least 4 hours ago, but could have been 7

Do you have the ingredients to know the amount of iron in each pill?

No

Friend, the amount of estrogen (20 mcg) in 15 tablets is not going to be enough to toxic to a 42 lbs dog. The other concern is the Iron, so depending on the amount of iron it can be very corrosive to the gastrointestinal tract or even cause liver failure. I would follow up with family veterinarian to check her blood work in 1-2 days. In the meantime start her on Milk of Magnesia 1/2 tablespoon every 12 hours for 1 day. The idea is for the milk of magnesia to bind the iron and prevent it from being absorbed. You can buy milk of magnesia over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Crista,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gabbi. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian