Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 16 year old alaskian husky and she pees in the

Customer Question
house at least 6 times...
I have a 16 year old alaskian husky and she pees in the house at least 6 times day. A LOT of pee, like sometimes I come home and there's a small lake in my front hall. We take her out regularly, and this is a new thing that only stated happening this year - she's been in our family since she was a puppy. We've taken her to the vet and they checked for UTIs and done blood work, and even given us pills for incontinence, and nothing is working. My vet thinks I should just limit how much water she can drink, but she's a husky and it's summer and i think that's cruel. I really need advice!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Husky. You must never restrict water. The amount of urine you're finding is more consistent with metabolic diseases than incontinence. I suspect that she's been polydipsic (increased thirst) and then polyuric (increased volume of urine) and she's unaccustomed to holding so much urine in her bladder. There are quite a few etiologies for polydipsia and polyuria including renal and hepatic insufficiency, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus (rare), Cushing's disease, Addison's disease (rare), hyperthyroidism (rare), pyometra/uterine infection (in the intact female), and electrolyte (sodium, potassium, calcium) imbalances. Diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, and Cushing's would also cause polyphagia (increased hunger).

Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian