Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I played with my dog, having m chase a ball on dirt/gravel a

Customer Question
I played with my dog...
I played with my dog, having him chase a ball on dirt/gravel for quite a while this afternoon. I just noticed the poor thing wore sores into the pads on all four feet (like a rug burn). Is there anything I can do to help it heal faster, or ease his discomfort? Thank you! Feeling very guilty now :-(
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear that Phoenix's paws have suffered severe pad trauma and wear such that your pup's paws are very sensitive like a rug burn.

Pads will eventually heal, but they can take time to do so and if they become infected that will slow healing.

Are the pad areas actually raw and oozing or are they just very worn and tender?

Any bleeding?

Are they swollen?

Is Phoenix licking them a lot?

If the pads are worn, but not completely raw and oozing we may be able to get him through this with home treatment, but your veterinarian could prescribe pain medication so he is more comfortable.

We don't want him licking his pads, that will only traumatize them further, so it may be necessary to place an elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) on him.

To reduce swelling and pain you can soak his feet in a tepid temperature epsom salt bath for 10 minutes at a time a couple times a day. Then pat his feet dry. Then you can apply a small amount of over the counter lidocaine cream to reduce pain.

There is a product called Tuf-foot that you can apply to protect his pads while they heal. See this link for more information: http://tuffoot.com/ You can purchase Tuf-foot via the company website, online at Amazon or at some pet or feed stores.

If his pads are completely worn off and his feet are raw you will need to protect them when he goes outdoors so they don't get dirty and infected. You can put a sock on his feet, then cover the sock with a baggie, securing the top with masking tape so it doesn't slip off. Remove the protective covering when he comes back inside so his feet can breathe.

He should be leash walked out to eliminate, and kept very quiet to decrease trauma to his feet until they heal.

If his feet become very swollen, have a thick green or yellow discharge or a foul odor then they are likely infected and he should see a veterinarian for an examination and oral antibiotics.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian