Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have two Boston Terriers that have a lot of redness around

Customer Question

I have two Boston Terriers that have a lot of redness around their mouths and down their necks toward their chests. It's seems to be spreading because they both tend to lay down and suck on blankets and toys like they're nursing. Their skin is now almost raw. What can I do for them?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I think you have done the right thing. The key to fixing this problem is keeping the red area dry and clean. If there is no hairloss and scabs then what you should do is wash the area with water and shampoo (pet shampoo) then keep the area dry and avoid allowing them to suck on those blankets which keeps that area of the skin constantly wet. If the skin is cleaned and allowed to dry out then usually this heals on it's own. If the red area starts to smell bad, the hair is lost, or it continues to spread even though it is kept clean and dry, then it is now infected and they really need to see the vet for antibiotics. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan