Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an english bulldog and all of a sudden he starts to

Customer Question
Hello, I have an english...
Hello, I have an english bulldog and all of a sudden he starts to make this cough like sound and then he will gag and throw up. He is a house dog and does not hang out with other dogs often, nor go to the kennel (boarding). Now he does have a kennel at home that he sleeps in and relax in, we never close it. He comes in and out of his own kennel. After he coughs and gags, he will throw up a white foam substance and some food. I do not like giving him meds, I like giving him natural home remedies for whatever health issue he has.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow is making a coughing noise and then proceeds to gag and vomit some foam and food. I do need to ask some questions.

How long after eating does this occur?

Has he always done this, but now it is more frequent, or is it new?

Is he retching quite a bit before this starts or does he seem to cough, gag and then vomit with little effort?

Does he tend to gobble his food?

Is he losing weight or is his appetite any different?

Any changes in food or treats?

Drinking more than usual?

Is he lethargic?

Any other dogs in the home and if so how are they?

Does he go to the groomer or do you have a mobile groomer?

Thanks for your patience with my questions, they will help me guide you better.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian