Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My choc lab is 11 years old and is having a problem with nd

Customer Question

my choc lab is 11 years old and is having a problem with hind leg, has a large swollen bulge on his hip and his leg is starting to swell and retain fluid?
Any ideas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Buster has this swelling on his hip. There are many causes of this type of change including trauma causing a hematoma, a clotting disorder, blood pressure changes, a mass (benign or cancerous) to a hip dislocation or even a fracture

I would strongly urge a veterinary exam at this time with his age and the fact it is not resolving. Your vet can aspirate or poke the swelling to get fluid to determine if it is a hematoma, an infection, or a mass (again benign or cancerous which will be diagnosed with the aspiration).

Until you are able to get in:
- Rotate warm and cool compresses to the area in 10 minute intervals. Warm to increase blood flow and stimulate healing while cool will numb and provide relief
- Massage the area if he will allow also to stimulate blood flow
- Range of motion of the hip to ensure there is no change with his ability to move his hip
- Please no aspirin or nonsteroidals over the counter until a diagnosis is made because it reduces clotting and can progress any bleeding tendencies

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I hope Buster is feeling better soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!